Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Glen Beck's piece on Headline News

What's become of the Headline News Network, a CNN offshoot? When I was an undergrad, I really appreciated its format of a 30-minute newscast every half-hour, 24-hours a day. It was great for the undergrad's schedule. My roommates and I would some times leave it on for hours in the background and it was interesting to follow the ebb and flow of the top stories as they moved around within the 30-minutes.

I stopped watching HNN several years ago. Recently, they dropped the 24-hour newscast and started having prime-time shows. One of these was given to right-wing talk radio guy Glen Beck. Mr. Beck has an interesting shtick: he always mentions being a recovering alcoholic, thus separating himself from most holier-than-thou right wingers. But his "speech" is notable only for its "aren't-I-shocking" racism.

On May 2nd, Glen Beck devoted his show to global warming in an episode titled "Exposed: The Climate of Fear". Fortunately for me, MediaMatters watched it so I don't have to. Their line up of his "experts" is here and debunking of the usual mis-information is here

Should we worry about this ham-handed disinformation hour? I think not. According to the ratings, Mr. Beck had a grand total of 275,000 viewers of his show that night.

Update: Desmogblog has a take with video clips and agrees those ratings are a "crisis" for Mr. Beck....

3 comments:

Michael Tobis said...

That's at least 274,900 more than you or me, though.

Rob said...

That's apples and oranges. Beck has to do much better than that to stay on the air. I don't expect HNN's producers to approve any more climate specials for Beck.

Anonymous said...

Glen Beck Says "mien kampf is my struggle, and Jihad is my struggle.... i thought i had heard it all but that must be the most ignorant comment anyone has mad on national television.... it must be all that Alcohol Glen... read up on what you're talking about... please.....